Document Management System
DMS allows subsequent archiving of the data, their maximum accessibility and the definition of individual rights to the documents for authorized persons only – while preserving high-security of course. One important function is the so-called workflow - a circulation of documents in electronic form, typical of approving received invoices, contracts and alike.
The introduction of the DMS solution, especially if it is integrated with ERP, data boxes and other key applications of the company will result in a significant reduction of work with original or copied documents in hard copy – at any point of the document editing process the user works with the document in electronic form only. This significantly boosts the work effectiveness and lowers the expenses for office aids and space. DMS also creates space for sharing information, gives tools so that events and documents can be easily found and thus makes all processes transparent.
Examples of Utilization
- the intranet portal of a company
- Document management and administration
- Engineering data management
It uses the 3-layer-architecture client-server, where the internet browser is the client; the application server is the IIS service on a Windows server and a MS SQL server is the database.
Integration with other applications
An important factor is the usage of a flexible open solution by the help of which the system can be easily set to administration and management of all the company’s digital documents. Direct integration with Microsoft applications both on the client (MS Office) and on behalf of the servers is a matter of course. Apart from that, especially thanks to .NET technology, it is possible to integrate many other applications such as CAD systems.
MS SharePoint is a universal technology by the help of which organizations can increase the effectiveness of business processes and improve the team productivity thanks to easy access to information and also thanks to the option to stay in contact regardless of the limits of the organization or geographical aspects.
General Overview of Basic Characteristics
- Portal (intranet) solution
- Helps to complexly administer information content
- Manages document and information creation and sharing as well as their archiving
- System notification of changes
- Integrated workflow (managed document circulation authorization)
- Meeting centers for effective sharing of data from meetings
- Interactive web forms make data collecting easier
- Publication portals for web content creation
- Search portal making data from different data sources accessible
- Flexible lists
- Personalization and personal employee webs
- Integration of MS Office, MS Exchange and MS Outlook, if necessary also other information systems
Basic characteristics in the field of DMS
- Document revision control
- In the field of DMS the solution enables document administration, creation including the possibility to demand document reservation, monitoring and management, version administration, search and acquisition of archived data and documents, and the creation of workgroups.
- Each document can be described by the help of descriptive data, it is possible to enforce this on the user.
- Documents can be edited directly in the Microsoft Office environment.
- Documents are secured by access rights. The access privilege can be applied to other items as well.
- Ducuments can be searched for in full-text or by the help of forms and descriptive data.
- Above each document it is possible to run work flow, for example the authentication process
SharePoint - Advantages
- increase of employee productivity
- document administration and monitoring
- easy Microsoft office usage and integration
- solution development according to one’s own needs
- possibility to create one’s own collaborative environment
- clearer information control and administration
- access privilege settings and securing on different levels
This system can be upgraded to the MS Office Server 2007 server solution, usually when the customer demands specific functions but especially for performance reasons. In contrast to SharePoint Services it is possible to distribute the load to more servers in MS Office Server 2007.
Overview of module extension examples
- Registry - serves the import of hard-copy documents to DMS. Each document is provided with a bar code, scanned and placed to an adequate folder in DMS; sometimes workflow runs above it.
- Data boxes - complete management of incoming or outgoing messages
- Contracts - contract records in electronic form
- Orders - orders of materials and services from supplying companies. It is possible to send orders directly from the system in electronic form or to print them and send them by fax or mail.
- Record - keeping a records which are inserted as entries and contain descriptive data. It is possible to file documents of different versions which can also be provided with descriptive data. It is possible to set access privileges for individual users to both record and documents.
- Lending office - record of lent possessions (cars, projectors, rooms…)
- Project documentation in progress - shared storage with active revision control of project documentations in project and related documents
Common Stages of Implementation
- Project definition Introduction of project teams, customers and suppliers
- Analysis Creation of a solution concept in accordance with the project tasks
- Realization Component development
- Necessary activities and support on behalf of the customer Creation of organizational, time and material conditions for the employees involved in the project
- Test and production operation Transfer from the development environment to the testing and subsequently to the production operation, user and administrator training
Confirmation of implementation extent
Contractual guarantee of the project
Assessment of escalatory procedures
Project plan approval
Project team workshops
Description of acceptance scenarios
Definition of project risks
Updated project plan
Installation of MS SharePoint Services 3.0
Installation and configuration of the solution
Concept of the procedure of transferring the development environment to the testing environment and subsequently to the production environment
Creation of system accounts necessary for the system operation
Provision of sources for carrying out acceptance scenarios
Provision of a person competent of the individual systems for consulting
Ensurance of third-party collaboration